Monday, January 14, 2013

Grilled Steak and Cheese Sandwich

In the wintertime, the famous duo of grilled cheese and tomato soup is a comfort food tradition that we never get tired of.  There have been many different variations of the pair over the years, and this time I was inspired by a dish I tasted several years ago in Knoxville, TN.  On a business trip, my co-workers and I found ourselves at a local Irish pub for dinner, and were surprisingly impressed with the food.  What was on the menu you ask?  None other than a grilled cheese sandwich,with a simple, yet masterful twist of cheese.

 
 

For my first post of 2013, I want to share one of my own creations with you.  Based on what I could find in my local gourmet grocery store and where I let my stomach cravings lead me, I pulled together the ingredients below to make a truly hearty and comforting sandwich.

The other half of the duo? My top choice remains Trader Joe’s creamy tomato soup, or if I’m lucky the homemade version my friend and roommate makes – maybe there’s a post opportunity on that one in the future?
 



GRILLED STEAK AND CHEESE SANDWICH
Makes: 2 sandwiches
 
 
Ingredients:
4 slices bread (a dense, wide loaf, such as Sourdough)
1 wedge Brie cheese (medium softness, such as St. Andre)
1/4 - 1/2 lb.  cooked flank steak, cut into thin strips  (this will continue to cook as you toast the bread, so used either slightly undercooked or add the steak near the end of toasting)
Fig preserves or jam
Butter, for outside of bread
 

Instructions:
  1. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the other side, spread a generous amount of cheese.
  2. On half of the bread slices, place one layer of steak strips and top with fig preserves.  Place sandwich halves together.
  3. Heat a pan on MED to MED-HI and toast each side of the sandwich until browned and cheese is melted. 

2 comments:

  1. what a great business trip that was :)
    -erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the changes to the layout (and this recipe is making me hungry)! Much easier to read now! -allyson

    ReplyDelete